Two weekends ago, I went to Caressa in order to attend the ‘concert’ of Nicky Jam in Amsterdam. I asked her if she could do my hair and I was thinking of curl formers. However, she wanted to try something new with my hair and this resulted in bouncy curls!
Everyone has different preferences, I prefer my curls to be highly defined. I could not care less about the shrinkage if my curls are defined.
- I did not thoroughly apply hair care products to my curls, by sectioning it to smaller parts and finger comb my hair while applying the products.
**with hair care products I refer to deep conditioners, leave-in condtioners, creams and jelly’s.
- I washed my hair with hot water, instead of cold water. Consequently, my hair became super dry after a couple of days.
- I did not embrace the shrinkage, instead I was manipulating my hair constantly causing breakage and possibly harming the elasticity of my hair.
New steps in my hair routine:
- When I apply a deep conditioner, I carefully section my hair into small sections and apply a deep-conditioner on these sections while finger detangling my hair. This approach stimulates the absorption of the product by the strands. After I finish, I put my hair in a bun for 1 hour.
**Recommended deep-conditioners: Aphoghee texture treatment, ORS Shealicious lock, Aphoghee 2 Keratine Two minute reconstructor
- After thoroughly washing the deep conditioner out of my hair, I divide my hair again in smaller sections. I first apply a leave-in conditioner and I finger comb my hair while applying the product.
**Recommended leave-in conditioners: Mixed Chicks Leave-in, SheaMoisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl & Style milk, LottaBody Curl&Style milk
- After applying the leave-in conditioner on the same section, I apply a cream while still detangling the hair with my fingers. At this point I notice that my curls are softer and easier to detangle.
**Recommended creams: SheaMoisture Coconut Hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie, Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Curl Defining cream
- The last step is to add a jelly (gel), first I finger detangle the section while applying the gel on the section. Thereafter, I put the section between my hands. I smoothen the section by moving my hands down while flattening the section.
**Recommended jelly: Camille Rose Naturals Curl maker, SheaMoisture curling gel souffle and Ecostyler gel Olive
Share your experiences with us!